Hey, can those of you from Chicago or familiar with the city share with us some suggestions of 'have to' places to see, things to experiences, foodsies to eat, etc? Thanks!
-Leif

Tags: chicago, extracurricular, fun

Views: 7

Replies to This Discussion

Got some tips on good Impro shows from Jay Olson: Deep Schwa on Sunday 10/19 and Armando Diaz on Monday 10/20. Both are at iO Theater - 3514 N. Clark St. www.ioimprov.com
- Raymond
Just got these suggestions from a client in Chicago:

1. If it's not too cold, I think Millenium Park is very cool and beautiful, and worth a walk thru

2. If it's not too cold, walk down Michigan Avenue

3. Navy Pier, especially the stained glass display area, and the garden area, near the Children's Musuem

Restaurants:

1. Grand Lux Cafe (On Ontario at Michigan Avenue, 2nd level restaurant, above Ann Taylor. All types of food, and everything is good, but it's the location and the ambience which are the best. Ask to sit next to the window. It's very popular, so either eat early or go late, otherwise the wait can be 60-90 minutes on a Friday or Saturday night)

2. Bandera (On Michigan Avenue at Ontario, 2nd level restaurant. Great steak and chicken)

2. Cafe Iberico (Spanish Tapas at the corner of LaSalle and Chicago)

3. Bella Luna (Italian restaurant at the corner of Dearborn and Superior)
*1 block away from Holy Name Cathedral, a really beautiful Catholic Church

Where to go if you want to "see and be seen"

1. Any restaurant on Rush Street between Oak Street and Division, specifically Gibson's Steak House and/or Hugo's Frog Bar and/or Tavern on the Rush

Museums and other points of interest

1. Art Institute on Michigan Avenue

2. Morton Arboretum (In Suburbs)

3. Second City (Corner of Wells and North Avenue)
Thanks a lot Megan, for your thoughts on what to visit in Chicago. Very useful !

Also, are there any workshops or trainings given in the few days before the conference? I'd love to attend those, or maybe visit another Improv group training? Suggestions anyone?

Warm regards
Raymond
Welcome to Chicago... Almost!

Here are my first thoughts on must see shows and places in Chicago.

Wednesday night-

The Harold shows are free at IO Chicago. This is a really wonderful opportunity to come and see some great house teams perform including my personal favorite, Carl and the Passions. These Harold shows are so much fun because you can see the amazing group dynamics and each team approaches the Harold with their own perspective. It will also give you a lot of insight into Charna’s point of view for her talk on Thursday.

Stick around for TJ & Dave. They do really stunning two person work. They are on hiatus for the summer but as far as I know will be returning in the fall.
http://chicago.ioimprov.com/

From IO you can look across the street and see the lovely Wrigley Field. Don’t leave the neighborhood without treating yourself to an over priced, watered down beer in any of the sports bars nearby. I recommend the Harry Caray's tavern named after the beloved Chicago Cubs announcer. http://www.harrycaraystavern.com/

Thursday Night-

The Annoyance theatre- Messing with a Friend

Susan Messing will rock your world. Each week she invites a different "friend" to come and do improv with her. It's incredibly creative work. Lots of fun!
http://www.annoyanceproductions.com/

Afterwards, head a couple of doors down to the historic Green Mill for Swing music and dancing. The lounge has been restored to it's 1940's grandeur. You'll feel just like a real Chicago Gangster. http://www.greenmilljazz.com/

Mick Napier is the founder of the Annoyance theatre, so again this might be a great way to understand a little more about where he is coming from.

Also on Thursday-

The Playground Theatre, Chicago's only cooperative improv theatre, hosts Open Court at 10:30 pm. Anyone can come and be put on a team coached by a playground house team member. It's a great way to meet people and try out some different forms. All experience levels are welcome!
http://www.the-playground.com/

Please keep in mind that these shows represent a tiny fraction of the improv going on in Chicago. As we get closer to the event I'll do my best to let the group know about some less well known shows at different venues around the city.

Let me know if there is something you’re particularly interested in I’d be happy to help!

Megan
I've been once before and one of the most memorable 'sights' was the North American Bahai 'House of Worship':

RSS

Welcome to the AIN!

If you're new to this site or the concept of Applied Improv, you should probably start by first visiting this FAQ page to get your basic questions answered. Please see this guide for tips on how to use the AIN site. You can also watch video tutorials on using this site.

AIN Spotlight (Latest News)...

AIN 2014 Conference Austin, Texas
November 6-9

Register and get more info

Recent Tweets

AIN External Website

We have created and launched a new website to promote Applied Improvisation to prospective clients - AppliedImprov.com

As you know, we already have a great website for talking to each other: this new site is for us to talk to the world, letting people know the value that AI practitioners can bring to organisations and communities, as trainers, facilitators and inspirers of creativity. It also has a sensational new logo, thanks to our very own Bård Brænde.

Please take a look here, let us know how to improve the site, and recommend it to any potential clients you can think of.  If you’d like to be listed on the site as a Practitioner, then check out the sign-up process on the discussion linked to this email here.

© 2014   This site was created by Leif Hansen of Spark Interaction -Igniting Vitality, Connection & Transformation.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service